The Electrician's Shop
Built in 1835
Designed by James Walker and built by George Munday (brickwork), Gates & Horne (carpentry), and North & Company, it is a single- storey brick building over a raised basement, with a slated roof and timber queen- post roof trusses.
Cruciform- section cast- iron columns in the basement are used to support the two principal beams carrying the floor. It was originally used to store oil, later occupied as an electrical and radio shop.
The Electrician's Shop basement is currently used as a gallery and event space, and the upstairs room is used as a Drawing Studio. Find out how to hire this venue here.