Trinity Buoy Wharf Live!: Grand Union Orchestra All Stars
- Date :
- 22 May 2019 - 22 May 2019
- Times :
- 6pm- 10pm
- Location :
- Trinity Buoy Wharf, The Electrician's Shop Gallery
- Tickets :
We are launching Trinity Buoy Wharf Live!, new events series featuring Jazz Wednesdays: six jazz nights on the River Thames. Funded by Urban Space Management and Trinity Buoy Wharf Trust, Trinity Buoy Wharf Live! will expand to film screenings and dance performances later in the year, set to become a permanent, ever-evolving, events programme.
Jazz Wednesdays BOOK TICKETS HERE
To launch Jazz Wednesdays, Trinity Buoy Wharf Live! kicks off with East London’s genre-defying Grand Union Orchestra All Stars on Wednesday 22nd of May 2019 from 6pm to 10pm
The hallmarks of great jazz are the same today as a century ago, when it emerged from America’s Deep South in New Orleans. Uniting musicians of all races, styles and instruments, jazz remains the freshest, most spontaneous and original of musical forms, enjoyed by millions around the world. Likewise, Grand Union Orchestra, from its base in the heart of East London, thrills audiences with the virtuoso talents of professional first-generation migrant musicians, creating a truly pioneering world jazz sound.
For Trinity Buoy Wharf Live! launch event, Grand Union Orchestra is assembling an all-star band from its core roster of improvising musicians under the direction of composer Tony Haynes (piano, trombone) including: Shanti Jayasinha (trumpet, flugelhorn), Louise Elliott (flute, tenor saxophone), Zhu Xiao Meng (gu zheng – Chinese harp),Jyotsna Srikanth (South Indian Carnatic violin), Yousuf Ali Khan (tabla, dholak),Carlos Fuentes (Latin percussion), Gerry Hunt (guitar, violin, soprano sax), Andres Lafone (bass guitar), Paul Clarvis (drums).
"These guys know that what brings people together is something shared.. the Grand Union Orchestra’s music makes you feel alive, makes you think and makes you long for a better world" On the Edge World Jazz Festival review
Drinks on the Thames
Each event will feature two bars with wine and beers on sale, including riverside bar overlooking the only Lighthouse in London. Guests will be able to enjoy a glass of wine against the stunning backdrop of Canary Wharf, the O2 and the river. The second, indoor bar at the venue will be open throughout each event.
To make the most of the riverside setting of Trinity Buoy Wharf, a new summer garden will be installed on the river terrace from the beginning of June. The garden will feature plenty of seating, deckchairs and green space to provide a pre-gig place to meet, relax, and enjoy a drink or two.
Full Jazz Wednesdays line-up:
Jazz Wednesdays will include six performances in total, with tickets going on sale mid- May. The series will feature:
- 22nd of May 2019 Grand Union Orchestra: launch event with all-star world jazz band with a strong Chinese and South Asian flavour
- 5th of June 2019 Dorance Lorza & Sexteto Café: one of the leading bands in the vibrant and exciting London salsa scene since they formed in 1996
- 3rd of July 2019 Mishka Adams and Beto Caletti: singer Mishka and singer/guitarist Beto influenced by South America’s Afro-Latin rhythmic traditions
- 7th of August 2019 Grand Union Orchestra All Stars: another opportunity to enjoy a stellar array of musicians from East London’s Grand Union Orchestra mixing global music influences
- 21st of August 2019 Dave O’Higgins Quartet with Graham Harvey (piano), Geoff Gascoyne (bass) and Sebastian de Krom (drums
11th of September 2019 Blues and Roots Ensemble: this diverse septet of top international musicians from South Africa to Sicily, India to Cuba, specialises in playing music by the great bandleader/composer, Charles Mingus
Jazz on a Summer’s Day Festival
On Sunday 23rd of June 2019, Trinity Buoy Wharf Live! will host its first “Jazz on a Summer’s Day” festival with music, street food, bars and workshops. The line-up and ticket info will launch mid-May.