“Jazz on a Summer’s Day” Festival
- Date :
- 23 June 2019 - 23 June 2019
- Times :
- 2pm- 9pm
- Location :
- Trinity Buoy Wharf
- Tickets :
- Kids go free, Youth ticket (12-18year olds): £15, Standard: £20
We are launching “Jazz on a Summer’s Day” festival at Trinity Buoy Wharf on June 23rd 2019 with an eclectic mix of live music and workshops, set to become an annual summer celebration.
- Live music: seven hours of non-stop live jazz on the River Thames in the historic Chainstore venue and newly launched Riverside Garden
- Samba workshops: learn to play Samba with members of Grand Union Orchestra All Stars
- Rhythm workshop with Mishka Adams and Beto Caletti
- Drinks on the Thames: riverside bar overlooking the O2 Arena and Canary Wharf
- Food: The Orchard Cafe and Fat Boy's Diner
- To the Lighthouse!: access to the only Lighthouse in London
Full line up:
- 14:15-15:00 Dorance Lorza and Sexteto Cafe
- 15:00-15:40 Grand Union Orchestra All Stars
- 15:40-16:20 Dorance Lorza and Sexteto Cafe
- 16:20-17:00 Merton Youth Jazz Orchestra
- 17:00-17:40 Dave O'Higgins & Rob Luft Quartet
- 17:40-18:20 Grand Union Orchestra All Stars
- 18:20-19:00 Mishka Adams & Beto Caletti
- 19:00-19:40 Morley Big Band
- 19:40-20:20 Dave O'Higgins & Rob Luft Quartet
- 20:20-21:00 Morley Big Band
Please note: Programme subject to update
- 16:15-17:00 Samba Workshop with Grand Union Orchestra: Learn to play Samba with members of Grand Union Orchestra. Drums and percussion instruments will be provided. All ages welcome
- 17:00-17:45 Rhythm workshop with Mishka and Beto: beats from Latin America - all welcome, just bring your hands!
Dorance Lorza and Sexteto Cafe: one of the leading bands in the vibrant and exciting London salsa scene since they formed in 1996. Pioneering the worldwide “salsa con vibes” revival of the late 1990s, they were one of the first bands in Europe to favour the small combo salsa sound of 1960s/1970s bands like Joe Cuba Sextet/ New Swing Sextet/Pete Terrace Combo rather than that of the more common big brass-heavy salsa orchestras of the day.
Grand Union Orchestra All Stars: is the acknowledged pioneer and leading exponent of cross-cultural music-making in the UK. Once memorably described as 'making cultural diversity an art-form' - and more recently commended for its 'practical idealism'! - it continues to blaze a trail unrivalled by any other organisation
Merton Youth Jazz Orchestra: is made up of highly talented young musicians from the Merton Music Foundation. They have recently performed at the Royal Albert Hall, Wimbledon Tennis and will shortly be going on tour to Flanders. Directed by Adam Saunders and Michael Chillingworth, this inspirational group will perform a programme of swinging jazz standards and classics from the Great American Songbook.
Dave O'Higgins & Rob Luft Quartet: Dave O’Higgins’ saxophone sounds are highly personal and recognisable, with a clear sense of melodic development and adventure. A popular performer with the public, with an excellent sense of pacing and presentation, he has a wide palette from Charlie Parker, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Joe Henderson through to Stanley Turrentine and Michael Brecker. He has relentlessly pursued artistic and sonic exploration and development with a deep respect for the tradition of the music.
Mishka Adams & Beto Caletti: Sparked by a mutual love of Brazilian music that led to a transatlantic collaboration between London and Buenos Aires, the duo of Beto and Mishka has its musical roots firmly planted in South America’s Afro-Latin rhythmic traditions. Their sound stretches from the African influenced Baião of northeastern Brazil, south through the jazzy harmonies of samba and bossa nova from Rio, down into the earthy beats of Uruguayan candombe, and arriving finally at the dancing rhythms of the chacarera and milonga of Argentina.
Morley Big Band: The Morley College Big Band has been at the heart of the London Jazz community for over 60 years. In its current incarnation the ensemble, led by Flavio Li Vigni, plays beautiful and challenging music including new compositions and arrangements from Maria Schneider, Tad Jones and Bob Mintzer. In June 2019 the band will premiere Bill Laurance’s ARP, a composition especially written for the band by the artist.
11 September 2019 - 11 September 2019
21 August 2019 - 21 August 2019
07 August 2019 - 07 August 2019