A new use for historic buildings
The Trinity House workshops closed in 1988, when the site was purchased by the London Docklands Development Corporation. When they moved out an empty but fine group of historic buildings remained.
The show-pieces are the Experimental Lighthouse and the adjoining Chain and Buoy Store, both designed by Sir James Douglass and erected in 1864. In the past ten years the Chain Store has housed numerous art exhibitions, musical and dramatic performances and corporate events with one side now dedicated to the University of East London's IPAD dance centre.
The Lighthouse is home to Jem Finer's sound installation "The Long Player".
The other historic buildings have adapted well to a variety of workshop and studio units. These include The Electricians’ Shop (1835), The Proving House (1870 - a long low range resembling a stable block where chains were tested), The Oil and Gas Works (1908), The Main Stores and The Gatehouse (1951). The Boiler Makers House and The Fitting Shop (both dating from the early 1950’s) house respectively a circus training studio, and a company specialising in holographics, and the costume department for the English National Opera.